Monday, February 14, 2011

You Made Me Laugh So Hard I Cried

A post chronicling some of the daily [and sometimes hourly] antics of Owen Jerome, or as we like to call him - Owie J, is long overdue. You, dear son, are a wonder. You constantly leave your Daddy and I at a loss, either because of your ferocious attitude, your insane shenanigans or your incredible sweetness. Sound like contradictions? They are. You are. One minute you're high, the next you're low. One minute you're angry, the next you're sweeter than sugar. You can shift gears in an instant and, like I said, it oftentimes leaves me feeling lost. Lost, but also completely addicted. You are completely unique and wonderful and perfect - even when you're crazy.

You've become quite obsessed with growing bigger lately. I often explain to you that you need to eat lots of healthy food and get lots of exercise and rest to grow bigger and stronger. After almost every meal, you ask, "Am I bigger now?" I know you're in a hurry. But, for your poor Mama's sake, would you mind slowing down just a bit? You've also been quite focused on your muscles lately, too, and for good reason, I'd say. They really are quite amazing. The other day I caught you staring down a little boy in the mall while you flexed your muscles at him. Yikes. Settle down there, Hot Shot!

Not a day goes by that isn't touched by some sort of Owen weirdness. It's sometimes maddening, always crazy silly and definitely makes life fun. You are never without a surprise, or two or three, up your sleeve!

This was you donning some cheer while we were shopping for a few new Christmas decorations for our tree. You felt like you looked quite smashing, and I agree!


This is how you wanted to dress to go to the daycare at the gym a few weeks ago. I was afraid the tie was going to get lost and I could have made you take it off, but how could I resist such a corny, little smile from such a handsome chap?


Your hair is getting really long and, thanks to the super sticky hair goo that your Momo gave you for Christmas, you can rock a really mean faux-hawk. I let you wear one to church yesterday. The pastors' oldest son will sometimes sport a faux-hawk of his own and as soon as we got to church yesterday, you ran up to him and yelled, "My mohawk is bigger than yours! Ha! Ha!"


Little did we know, you were just warming up your engines for the craziness that was to come later in the day. We had some dear friends [Chris, Jane & Haven] over for dinner. We were sitting around enjoying some coffee and cookies when I remembered to tell Jane about you staring down the little boy in the mall. Being a fairly combative and aggressive girl herself, I knew Jane would appreciate the story. You were standing nearby, so after the story I asked if you could show Auntie Jane your muscles. You looked at me with the, "Mom, do I have to?", look of sudden and completely un-characteristic shyness. It surprised me, because you usually have NO problem absorbing quite a bit of lime light. You started shrinking down to the floor and really had me stunned. "How weird that he's not taking full advantage of the spotlight!" Little did I know, though, that you were improvising an even MORE impressive muscle display than normal by taking a knee right down by her chair. You looked up at her and gave her the biggest flex I've seen to date! We all got quite a laugh. I thanked you and your Daddy promptly reminded you, "Yeah, Buddy. Remember, though, that flexing is really just for the girls." [I think he was trying to avoid more muscle showdowns like we'd experienced in the mall.] Chris was prompt to agree and told him, "Yep. You should flex for Haven." We all figured the main event was over, but lightning fast, Owen hopped up, ran around the table and dropped down on to his knee in front of Chris' not-quite-two-year-old, Haven. "Hey, Haven! Check this out!" Again, with the impressive display. I'm sure you get the picture. It was hilarious! I was completely aghast and at awe! Much to my dismay, you are rarely that prompt and agreeable to do anything that is requested of you. When it came to winning the affections of a pretty little lady, though, you were definitely hot to trot.

So, yikes!! I'm confident that these are just the first of many similar episodes sure to come. I have to say I'm quite glad and honored to occupy a front-row-seat to enjoy the show that is O. Your Daddy and I are quite taken by you, Little Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment