Friday, April 24, 2009

What's a mom to do?

If only I had a dollar for every time I've asked that question. Darn.

Poor little Caleb. Actually, you were probably pulling my chain the entire evening. No telling. We had fish and chips [with Chris and Jane] for dinner tonight. You've only tried fish once and you didn't like it. It was baked though, without any breading and not a whole lot of seasoning. I'm sure, to a kid, it was horrifying. But tonight it was lightly breaded halibut with french fries and I even made tartar sauce. I figured that'd surely work. After all, breaded fish is basically just a fancy chicken nugget, right?

But, apparently you really, really don't like fish.

I made you a little plate with fries, ketchup, one small piece of fish and some tartar sauce. You took one teeny bite then cringed, shivered and said you didn't like it. I wasn't convinced. No one can make a fair judgment after a taste so small. You were happy to finish off your fries. Before you did, though, I gave you fair warning that you weren't going to be allowed to fill up on french fries and nothing else. I told you that you either had to eat the piece of fish or a small pile of coleslaw. You opted for the coleslaw, but picked at it one little shred at a time. Not okay. I thought maybe you'd like the fish if it was dipped in ketchup. No deal. You shuddered and winced and acted like you were going to die. Maybe you thought you would. [I have similar but vague memories from my childhood and they involve peas.] After a looooong time of coaxing, demanding, etc. You asked, "Mom, isn't it past my bedtime?" Indeed, it was. When I answered in the affirmative, you slid off your seat with a smile and sang, "Well. I guess I'm off to bed." But, I wasn't going to let you out of it that easily. "No Sir, Caleb Thomas." At that, you wilted. You turned into a puddle of tears and asked if I'd please spank you instead of making you finish. Yeouch. What am I supposed to do with that? Maybe last time we encountered this battle of wills I gave you the option to eat the specified food or get a spanking? Not sure. But, I couldn't spank you. I asked you to look into my eyes and told you that all I really wanted you to do was to obey me. Please, please Caleb. Please just obey me. It's my job to keep you safe and healthy and strong. I'm just trying to do those things and it isn't likely to happen if you won't obey me.

I sent you to bed without a spanking, so I probably had the wool pulled over my eyes. I didn't read you a story, though, so I hope you don't feel like you won any battles. I guess that now it's safe to say that you really, really don't like fish.

I promise I won't make you try it again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I think you are probably the first to find my new project! I didn't mean to let this go for so long...

    ReplyDelete