Monday, May 24, 2010

10-4, Good Buddy

Nathan, Sweetie. When you were born, you were a teeny 6 lbs 2 ozs - my smallest sonshine, by far. When you were just 3 days old, you were even smaller - only 5 lbs 9 ozs. Now, only 6 weeks later, you're HUGE! [Look at those beautiful rolls!] What happened?!?

Weekend before last, we went to visit your Auntie Anna while she was working at the hospital. I had to feed you and change your diaper while we were there, so we figured we might as well weigh you, too, while we were there. Daddy and I were so anxious to see what the scale would say. Auntie and I both made guesses - I said 8 lbs 8 ozs. Auntie said 9 lbs 3 ozs. Daddy was the smart one and declined to guess, because we were both way off. You weighed 10 lbs 4 ozs!!! That was darn near double what your lowest weight was, only 5 weeks before! That means you've been packing on a pound each week!!! By now, a week later, I'm sure you're well on your way to doubling your birth weight. Yikes. You've already outgrown your smallest onesies. I can't bring myself to pack them away, though. I just leave them at the top of the drawer, and dig underneath them for the ones that are a little bigger.

When you were born, you were my teeny little peanut. Your tush fit so perfectly in the palm of my hand! I'm not ready for that to change! I won't say that you're not allowed to grow up, because I can't wait to see what an incredible toddler, boy, teen and man that you will someday be. But, could you please slow things down a bit, for your poor mommy's sake? I'm just not ready for this!

BTW - As an interesting addendum, I did the math to see how this rate of weight gain would correspond in a grown person. Here's the example - if you had a 180 lb man, it would be similar to him packing on 30 lbs a week. Right now you're 6 weeks old and I'm betting you're getting close to 12 lbs. If this poor guy packed on weight like that for six weeks, the once 180 lb guy would now weigh 360 lbs! Double yikes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment