Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Caleb Cowboy


Unfortunately, costumes for harvest celebrations have gotten decidedly less exciting than when I was little. Actually, it's not the costumes that are less exciting, it's just the celebrations themselves. They were a huge deal when I was little. In correlation, the costumes were also a huge deal.

For Caleb's Harvest Festival at school, he's allowed three costume choices: a scarecrow, a cowboy or a farmer. Woo hoo! [Please pardon my sarcasm. It's rude.]

I thought maybe he'd get excited about a scarecrow, because there's nothing really exciting about dressing up like a farmer [except for the pair of overalls that I'd be forced to buy him] and he was a cowboy last year. But, when I presented his options, he chose...cowboy. Oh well. It could be harder for me, for sure. But maybe this year we'll try to add a lasso and big, shiny belt buckle to the mix. [If he'll let me.] I'm sure he'll be game for the lasso, but the buckle? I don't know.

So, I'll post pictures as soon as I've got 'em.

In the mean time, I figure this is a good time to write down a song that I made up for Caleb and have sung to him ever since he was itty bitty:

Caleb Cowboy, ridin' on his pony
Through the valley and 'oer the hills
Roundin' up all his little do-gies
Drivin' 'em home, yippie-i-o, yippie-i-o, yodel-i-a
Yodel-i-a, yodel-i, yodel-i, yodel-i-a
Yodel-i-a, yodel-i, yodel-i, yodel-i-a
Yodel-i-a.

[What can I say? I'd secretly love to be able to yodel, a la Jewel. I think it'd be cool.]

No comments:

Post a Comment