Friday, October 2, 2009

Solo...Almost

This morning I tried to take a shower without Owen. Actually, let me rephrase that. It's not that I haven't showered without him for the last two years. It's just that for the last several months it has become our routine for him to take a shower with me in the mornings while Caleb does his morning routine. The number one reason for this is convenience, for me. It gets him clean, too, and I'm all about successful multi-tasking. [Basically killing two birds with one stone, but just a kinder, gentler way of saying that very same thing.]

My biggest motivator in all of this, though, is just so that I can get a shower for myself. I don't trust Owen to run through the house while I'm in the shower. No telling what he'd get into, especially since he's recently figured out how to twist the tops off of things...my lip gloss, mascara. You name it and he's tried it. [I've definitely learned that, with Owen, if I haven't heard anything out of him for more than about 3 minutes that means trouble.] So, I figure that I could take a panicked 3 minute shower without him or a leisurely 15 minute [okay, 20 minute] shower with him.

This morning, though, he definitely didn't express any interest in taking a shower, so I got him dressed and interested in some toys in his room and I hopped in for a quick scrub. I wasn't in there for more than 2 minutes before he came in, sobbing, and crying "Wid you, shower, wid you..." I tried to console him and tell him that I'd be out in just a minute. That, apparently, was not good enough for him. Fully clothed, he climbed into the shower. His solution caused quite a smile to spread across his face, until his clothes started feeling wet and heavy. He wasn't so sure about this new experience, it definitely wasn't like his usual showers with mommy. So, I had to strip him down and then we finished. I guess I won't be doing any solos for a little while longer. [And that's just fine by me.]

No comments:

Post a Comment