Thursday, August 26, 2010

How'd it go?

Today I tried to walk the walk - as far as showing love in the midst [of chaos] goes.

[If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the Unconditional Love post first.]

So, how'd it go? It went well! Today, I actually managed to make it through an entire day of being at home with three sick-ish boys and I didn't lose it - not even once. That doesn't mean that there weren't any tantrums or fits. Oh, boy, were there! But, I was able to act with an element of control and calm that was completely foreign. Why? Because it sure as heck wasn't coming from me. But I can tell you that it sure was welcome. I think the boys even noticed it, too.

The secret of the success? I really think it was throwing up my hands, giving up and knowing from the get-go that it was a completely impossible task. If you're up against something that you know 100%, without-a-doubt that you can't possibly do, it's not hard to expect the very minimum from yourself. If, however, you know that you've got someone in your corner that is 100% capable and, well, perfect, then it's easy to take a deep breath, slow down and know that the pressure is off. Isn't it a relief to be carried? It takes so much less effort to take on the impossible tasks when you simply stop trying to do it on your own. And the best part? You actually start seeing results - succeeding rather than failing miserably. Amazing, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment