Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Update: No Lovin'


So, I was burned again today. Left feeling rejected and disappointed - no 'I LOVE YOU' sign from Caleb, again.

Thankfully, there was no girl at fault today. I know that should provide some level of relief, but I'm not so sure I feel any better. While he was barreling out of the car this morning, one of his friends was nearby, so he just slammed the door and took off running. He was feeling the urge to get down to the business of play as quickly as possible and, paramount to any biological or emotional need to make even the briefest of connections with his Mommy, he got right to it.

Darn it.

I think that might make me feel even more nervous than the 'girl' interloper. I know there will always be girls and they'll come and go. Thankfully, right now we're still in the stage of girls-are-a-mystery. There are little groups of boys on the playground hiding snickering whispers of "So-and-so kissed a GIRL!" behind their dirty, little boy hands. But, for the most part, the whole idea of 'girlfriend' is still completely innocent and elusive.

[Thank God!]

But, what happened today feels more like an indicator of business and distraction than anything else. And that makes me sad. I think I'll choose to keep this experience close by as a reminder of how I treat Caleb - am I sometimes too distracted and busy to flash him an 'I LOVE YOU'? It never takes long, but it's amazing how very important it is to establish that connection, to reaffirm someone special and to remind them of how much they mean to you.

[As an aside: Sometimes, when we're walking to the car from his class, I'll stick my hand out for Caleb to hold. More often than not, as long he's not bounding around in the bushes, he'll absentmindedly take my hand. It's bliss. It rarely fails, though, that shortly after I've got his hand in mine, he realizes, "Crud. I'm holding my Mom's hand." Awkwardness ensues, but only for him. I cherish every second of walking hand-in-hand with my big guy - no matter how dirty his hands are!]

And, while we're on the subject of my boys and girls... This is what Owen chose to wear a few weeks ago:

His explanation went a little something like this:

Owen: Mom!! [with major exasperation and eye rolling] I want to wear my button shirt and tie because I'm going to a dance tonight and I need to be dressed up!

Mom: Okay, Buddy, that's fine. [Who am I to argue with dressing up for a dance?]

Owen: Isaiah's girlfriend is going to be there and she's bringing a date!

Mom: Oh, really? Who is this date she's bringing?

Owen: Me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment